General Maintenance/Multi-Skilled Position
Gould Academy, an independent boarding school of 215 students, grades 9-PG, in Bethel, Maine, seeks a Multi-Skilled General Maintenance persons to join our team. The ideal candidate can work independently and sometimes with others. We are looking for a team player who is professional, is able to adapt to changes as priorities on the campus change as well as performing tasks outlined below.
He or she will be able to perform a wide variety of facility, infrastructure, and utility system maintenance, repair, and renovation tasks focused primarily on our faculty homes at a skilled level.
This position must be able to work overtime when required. Our staff has interactions in and around all buildings and with employees as well as students. We have a beautiful campus and take pride in our work - we hope you will too!
This position reports to the Director of Buildings and Grounds and work closely with campus faculty, staff, and vendors. It is important to understand that you are representing Gould and this is reflected by behaving in a professional manner, showing a positive attitude, and speaking in favor of the school when around students, parents and other employees.
General Maintenance Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform preventative and deferred maintenance on HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems as well as facilities and equipment
- Inspect and test systems, machinery, and equipment.
- Repair and maintain as necessary Identify suppliers, equipment, machinery, etc.
- required to successfully perform tasks in this position
- Operate a variety of shop machinery and equipment such as carpentry tools, metalworking tools, and automotive tools
- Able to work alone while achieving goals as set by the supervisor
- Good working knowledge of building systems and the capability of successfully performing tasks associated with all basic traditional building trades
- Participate in the rotating weekend schedule; during the school year a member of the maintenance or housekeeping staff is on the grounds for day time hours and during non-school year one must carry the duty phone and be on-call with the ability to respond to issues
- Successfully use the timekeeping system; punching in and out for work hours
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee.
- S/he will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
- Assist in preparations for special events.
- Assist in traffic control and parking. Snow removal.
- Transportation of adolescents; requires driving a school bus and other non-CDL vehicles (Maintenance Position only).
- Qualification Requirements: Three to five years’ experience performing the duties listed above is required.
- Three to five years’ experience in general building trades with experience and skills in carpentry.
- Two or more of the following trades and crafts are required: electrical, plumbing, painting, masonry, and HVAC.
- Experience in a similar position is preferred.
- Must be a self-starter and able to perform work at the skilled level.
- Possess good communication and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of safety rules, regulations and policies and ability to demonstrate understanding of such.
High school diploma is required. One year certificate from college or technical school is preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- A current Maine driver's license is required and a background check is required and must be successfully completed before employment can be started.
- Must be CHRC clear with the State of Maine Department of Education.
- The physical demands are those needed to successfully fulfill the job duties and responsibilities articulated within the duties sections.
- It is essential to be able to meet the physical demands below; these physical requirements are not exhaustive and additional job-related physical requirements may be added to these by individuals on an as-needed basis.
- Corrective devices may be used to meet physical requirements as well as reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to continuously perform tasks while bending, kneeling, squatting climbing, standing, walking, and reaching as well as using fine motor skills.
- This can be expected from 67% to 100% of a workday.
- Frequent driving within a part of the day (between 66% and 34%).
- Occasionally sitting; less than 33% of any given day.
- Must be able to lift and carry a maximum of 40-50 pounds safely.
- Frequent lifting and carrying of 10-15 pounds.
- Repetitive motion involves the wrist, elbow, shoulder, and ankles.
Salary and Benefits of this role is Full-Time, year-round, non-exempt position.
Hourly rate is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The benefits package is excellent and includes TIAA-CREF or Maine State Retirement Program (MEPERS) retirement benefits and full medical/dental coverage, life insurance, and professional development opportunities.
To apply for this position please visit us online at www.gouldacademy.org to complete a job application.
Submit it along with your cover letter expressing your interest in the position.
If you have a resume, please include as well.
You may email these documents to HR@gouldacademy.org
or you can also mail to the attention of:
Deborah Menezes, Director of Human Resources, PO Box 860, Bethel, ME 04217
Equal Employment Opportunities Gould Academy does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, creed, color, gender, disability, or sexual orientation in the administration of its educational policies, admission, financial aid, loans, hiring process, and other school programs.
Location/Region: Bethel, Maine